Food allergens are proteins in food which can trigger allergic, sometimes even life-threatening, reactions in sensitised individuals. Even extremely low allergen concentrations can cause allergic symptoms. 90% of all food allergies are caused by the following eight common food categories: milk, eggs, peanuts, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat and soy.
Managing food allergies usually means completely eliminating the allergenic proteins from one’s diet, requiring strict traceability throughout the food production process, from raw materials to the final product.
EU Regulation No. 1169/2011 requires food manufacturers to label their products with all ingredients potentially capable of causing allergic reactions. The directive also includes a list of food ingredients classified as being possible allergens or intolerants. Many other countries worldwide have similar legislation requiring food manufacturers to label products that potentially contain allergens.
SENSIStrip Lateral Flow Tests
The lateral flow assays are the perfect tool to control any potential cross-contamination with food allergens, avoiding external analyses and thus considerably reducing the time needed to release a food product batch to the market.
With only a few minutes of incubation time, the tests provide a very easy-to-use technique for adequate control at different stages of the food manufacturing process, across food matrices, rinse water and equipment.
Key benefits of the lateral flow tests
- High sensitivity, low limits of detection
- Semi-quantitative result provided by an evaluation card
- No need for a highly qualified end user: fast and easy to use
- All necessary and ready-to-use material provided to perform 20 individual analyses per kit
- Automation: the RapidScan ST5-W lateral flow reader is unique to the market with its flexibility, multiple target analysis and its compatibility with applications for our allergen, GMO, glyphosate and algal toxins lateral flow tests. This portable instrument performs well in both laboratories and in field testing environments.
SENSISpec Allergen Detection ELISA Kits
It is critical to ensure that low-level contaminations are not missed during the onsite analysis, resulting in false negative results. Reliable and rapid solutions, such as our allergen ELISA kits, will improve and simplify in-house testing processes. We provide one of the most comprehensive Allergen ELISA test kit portfolios on the market.
Key benefits of the ELISA kits
- Quick and sensitive method with low limits of detection
- Quantitative results
- Simple test format
- Comprehensive ELISA test kit portfolio
- Automation: the GSD Absorbance 96 ELISA reader is a new category of plate readers that simplifies the workflow in the laboratory. The small size of the reader, in combination with the unique open design, provides an entirely new user experience and delivers precise and accurate results.
Gluten Testing with an AOAC PTM: SENSISpec INgezim Gluten R5 ELISA
The assay is based on the R5 Monoclonal Antibody, specifically for proteins from wheat, rye and barley. The assay’s Limit of Detection is 3 ppm (mg/kg).
The AOAC Performance Tested Method (PTM) status of the assay demonstrated that after a rigorous validation study, all the results obtained were satisfactory and in line with expectations. The SENSISpec INgezim Gluten R5 kit provides fast and reliable quantitative results for gluten detection and is a validated assay for ISO 17025 accredited laboratories. SENSISpec INgezim Gluten R5 Product page
Client Success Stories: Exploiting Synergies to Tackle Allergens Management
Register here and shop our allergen kits online!